USB Hard Disk Drive Not Detected on Your Mac? Here's the Solution!

I have a Macbook 2010 version. And very so often, my USB hard disk drives (HDD) takes forever to load. The HDD works fine on my PC, and I even bought a new drive thinking it was a hardware failure.

Turns out, it's something inherent to Macs and FAT32 formatted drives. Lots of people suffer this terrible fate. The only answer is... to reset your SMC. It took me awhile to confirm the case, but I have concluded that there is no other option or solution which does not involve me wiping out my drive and reformatting it with Mac file format (HFS).

For me, resetting my Macbook SMC is by shutting it down the laptop first, then pressing Shift+Control+Option+Power button on at the same time, and then releasing it at the same time. Then power on the Macbook again. Once the SMC is reset, the drive gets detect immediately. I'm not kidding, this works ALL the time. If you using some other Macs, go here to learn how to reset your SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964.

And I also found out that from my experience, the cause of SMC failure on USB FAT32 HDD drives occur when my Macbook goes to sleep WHILE my HDD is plugged into it. So the best way to prevent this failure, is by always ejecting the drive BEFORE you close the lid.

Hope this helps!

Comments

  1. A great post for this certain topic.
    Information damage situation is often a headache for the user.
    To be able to resolve this concern, the gurus have launched several data files recovery solutions.
    If a deletion of data problem has taken place, person got to know which application or software package to apply as a way to deal with this scenario of data damage.
    outlook mail file

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts