Groupon and LivingSocial Malaysia - Review and Tips!

Today, I shall give my personal review of using group purchasing discount vouchers/coupons, commonly known as Groupon (what Tupperware is for "plastic containers") and another favorite of mine LivingSocial.

Why am I reviewing this? Groupons to me is a great example of "technography" where common technology is innovatively used to bring value to people. And also the fact I love a bargain. Probably more of the latter reason being Malaysian. :)



I've been using Groupon since April 2011 and bought at least a thousand ringgit worth of goods and services between Groupon and LivingSocial combined.

What have I deals bought from Groupon/LivingSocial?

I've known of people who shun online vouchers. It seems like a big scam to them. Like Facebook. 

But take it from me, there's nothing to be afraid of. I've purchased at least a thousand ringgit worth of vouchers between them before (wait, did I just mention that earlier?) and never had any issues so far. I can't say about other service providers, but Groupon and LivingSocial are have been reliable. Here's what I normally spend my money on:
  • 90% Food - Restaurants, cafes
  • 8% Goods - Photobooks, hair accessories
  • 2% Services - Car service, photography services
They accept credit card and online bank accounts, making it hassle free. You can even use their mobile app to purchase and view your vouchers, but I prefer using the website as searching for deals is much easier.

And here's a true story: I've a friend who bought so much stuff from Groupon, that they sent him a free Samsung digital camera, just for being such a loyal customer! How's that for service?

The Good

I love buying food vouchers. The best ones come from LivingSocial to IMHO, especially with their "Instant Redemption" feature where I can buy and print immediately after purchase. Instant gratification! I normally have to buy a lot as I have a big family to feed (17 pax) at least once a month. So a 50% savings goes a long way.

Here is a picture of some crabs I brought for half price recently (RM16 instead of RM32 for two big crabs, yummy!!!) for your viewing pleasure:



There are times where I missed out good bargains from online vouchers, such as a slow juicer which I purchased outside at RM1,500 vs one I found LivingSocial at RM500, amongst other things. Of course, the brand I brought has significantly more presence than that found online, plus it comes with a 10 years motor warranty instead of one year. Nonetheless, with the savings I could have had, I would have been able to buy two additional units and kept it at home!

There is often an option to pick up your product from the office OR have it courier to you at a small fee.

The Bad

Groupons are not always cheaper. A quick visit to Mudah.my or Lowyat forum may yield cheaper goods, especially stuff like powerbanks and phone accessories.

Most merchants (like 95% of them) also require hard copy printouts of the vouchers, and if you don't have access to a printer, then you are out of luck. Worse, it's bad for the environment.

Another thing I dislike is the fact that I have missed out on deals I purchased because I forgot to use my vouchers before the expiry date!

The Ugly

Sometimes there will be bad merchants. Merchants who will cook smaller portions when you use vouchers. Or they suka-suka change their opening time. Or provide a shoddy job (a friend of mine took his family photo in a so-called professional studio using vouchers and it turned out really amateurish!). Or the business plain gone bankrupt.

Oh yes, don't forget the mass email, every single day, twice a day. And notifications on your phone too if you have it installed. It can really be very irritating and distracting, but if you turn it off, you may miss that little discount you have been waiting for! DARN!

My Two Cents

Well, here are some final advice I can give as a user who buys vouchers on a regular basis. Hopefully, it will improve your experience with online vouchers:

  1. If your voucher expires, don't worry, you may be able to still use them. I've done it before by just being honest to the waiter. If not, write to your voucher site and they can sometimes provide a partial refund.
  2. If you find a merchant that does not abide on the terms, you can get a full refund. E.g. if the merchant changes his opening hours. I've done this too.
  3. Try getting restaurant vouchers for special events, such as for a birthday party. It helps you save quite a bit of money. Trust me, I've done it a lot.
So what are you waiting for? Check out LivingSocial and Groupon and shop till you drop! :D





Comments

  1. Hi! I would like to ask you. Say if the voucher at groupon states there "from rm45 bla bla bla (worth rm500)" then does it mean that the voucher will only deduct as much as rm45 from the rm500?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts