Unlocking the Palm Centro

This post may seem outdated, compared to my Nexus One post… But I’m gonna post it anyway!
I bought a second hand AT&T Palm Centro and had it sent to me recently for very cheap price. I love the Centro’s keyboard, and although the OS is dinosaur age, I have some old apps from my Palm Clie days which I still use.

When I received the device, I realized that it was locked to AT&T still! Being a guy who loves exotic and hard to find devices, I had no chance of going to Low Yat to unlock it. There, I started my journey to find a way to do it online.



After much Googling, I found no free way of doing so, but there are a few alternatives. The cheapest one is via ebay (just type in “Centro Unlock” in ebay to see a list of sellers), where all you have to do is send in your IMEI number and they will send you a code within 24 hours. They are cheap, only USD3. But there is a disclaimer that if your phone has been refurbished, then it may not work. Hmmm… problem: how do i know if my phone is refurbished or not? Well, I don’t! Still, the sellers ratings are all positive, so I gave it a shot.

The result… they sent me a code via email within 24hours but the code does not work. I tried 3 times just to make sure i didn’t type in wrongly and sure enough, it did not work. I read that if I try 5 times unsuccessfully, my phone will lock… FOREVER!

Not giving up, I decided to scour phone forums for a recommended working solution. Finally, I found http://centrounlock.com/ to be the best. The method is a little more work than the ebay one. First, I had to download a little application on my phone. The app will then calculate and create a unique code which I can then apply to the site to generate the unlock code. The app worked on my phone. It spewed out a 16 digit code. The next step is to pay this company USD19. That’s RM70. Hmmm… should I do it? It’s risky. One, I may enter the wrong 16 digit code to the site and it may give me a wrong unlock code (the codes had lots of “0”s and “O”s, “1”s and “I”s which looks awfully similar in Palms default font). Two, these people may be another scam company. I tried sending them email to enquire about their service, but they did not reply me (and no reply until today). However, desperate, I decided to give it a go.
Below is a summary of how to enter the unlock code:
  1. 1. Remove the battery from your device
  2. 2. Leave the phone off for 10 seconds
  3. 3. Put a SIM card into the phone
  4. 4. Place the battery back in
  5. 5. Go to the dial pad
  6. 6. If the radio isn't on (phone application reports "Phone Off"), turn it on by holding down the red power button for a few seconds
  7. 7. Wait for "SIM card not allowed" message
  8. 8. Wait for the dial pad to indicate "SOS only"
  9. 9. Dial the unlock code carefully, including all * and # characters (it should look like *#*#00000000# when you are done)
  10. 10. Press the dial button
  11. 11. The phone should inform you that the SIM lock was removed
After I paid via Paypal, I received the unlock codes immediately. Praying hard, I entered the codes as follows: *#*#95912867# (don’t try this on your phone. this only work on mine). And lo and behold, my phone is unlocked! *PHEW*

IMAGE_066


Notice the Digi signal on my phone? Well, I can now gladly confirm with you that the DigitalUnlock service at http://centrounlock.com works like a charm! And another piece of good news: the ebay seller refunded my money after I proved to him that I got the unlock codes elsewhere. Woo hoo!

Comments

  1. I bought a code from ebay too to unlock a palm centro my sister give to me, it says it's unlock yet when I put the simcard I wish to use in it, it's telling me sos and this simcard is not allowed, I also have another phone I unlock that the simcard is working great with, do you know what could be the problem? I really need to use this phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nel, try installing the Centro Unlock software and run it. the ebay sellers aren't very reliable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm!
    Fine its the great information!!!
    I feel pleasure to share my experience how i gain in unlocking my Samsung mobile with use of one site
    http://www.theunlockspot.com/unlock-your-phone/rs10wp2/
    This site provides good result for unlocking mobile with unlock code…
    You can make use of this site for unlocking mobile as i did & can gain satisfactory result..
    This site provide unlock code & instruction at cheap cost

    ReplyDelete
  4. So AT&T, who I've had service with for like 10 years + said they couldn't give me the code b/c my phone was older, and so they dump the codes after some time. Seems they should keep the codes of the active phones huh? So I tried an online service that gets codes by the IMEI #. They weren't able to help and refunded my $. Last hope, the website Centro unlock, which uses a computer program to find the code. Low-and-behold they got the code and it's unlocked. Costs $19 but the cheapest one with the program, and only option if you phone is a couple of years old like mine. Thanks for the info on this site, I didn't know if they were a scam but they sure weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a Palm Centro with Sprint for 5 years - Love the phone hated Sprint so 4 months ago I switched to AT&T -- I want to buy a Palm Centro for AT&T -- Can I take my Samsung Flight II SIM card and put it into a used Centro (like the ones I see on ebay)? Will this work or what would I need to do to make this work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts